Second UFC Retirement Announcement from former UFC champ champ Conor McGregor

June 8, 2020 by Jack Ol

Mixed martial arts superstar and former UFC double division champion Conor McGregor announced that he is retiring from the MMA on Sunday after the completion of UFC 250. The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) World Champion said his fighting days were over.

In a Tweet posted on his verified account, alongside a picture with his mother, Margaret, the Notorious wrote: 

"Hey, guys I've decided to retire from fighting. Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it's been!. Here is a picture of myself and my mother in Las Vegas post one of my World titles wins! Pick the home of your dreams Mags I love you! Whatever you desire it's yours."

The Irish fighter was heavily linked to fighting Anderson Silva, Jorge Masvidal, and his fierce rival Khabib Nurmagomedov later this year but the bouts are in jeopardy after Conor chose to quit the sport too early. 

'The game just does not excite me, and that's that. All this waiting around. There's nothing happening. I'm going through opponent options, and there's nothing really there at the minute. There's nothing that's exciting to me."

McGregor told ESPN soon after his tweet was published.

This is the second time the former lightweight champion has talked about retiring. Last year, he did the same thing only to return later. His current retirement plan could be the way to push the talks to fight Anderson Silva.