UFC 229 is regarded as one of the biggest events of 2018 as it will feature the most awaited bout between the lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and the former two-division champion Conor McGregor.
After two years of trash talks and the cold war, Khabib and Conor are scheduled to fight against each other on October 6 in Las Vegas.
Here are some unknown facts about Conor and Khabib
- Before settling on an MMA career, McGregor briefly served an apprenticeship as a plumber before deciding that it wasn’t for him.
- During his youth, Conor McGregor boxed and went on to win youth championship, before giving up boxing to focus on MMA.
- McGregor became the first non-American to hold world titles simultaneously in two different weight classes after winning the Cage Warriors featherweight and lightweight titles in consecutive fights.
- McGregor is the first UFC fighter to hold titles of different weight-class at the same time.
- Growing up, The Notorious was a Manchester United fan.
- McGregor's 13 second KO to Aldo to claim the UFC lightweight title is not the fastest KO. McGregor once recorded a four-second knockout in April 2011 when he KO’d Paddy Doherty.
- He bet UFC owner Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta $3 Million that he'd win by knockout in the second round of a fight.
- Khabib holds one of the longest undefeated streaks in MMA with 26 wins and is yet to lose any bout.
- Khabib loves watching football and is a fan of Anzhi Makhachkala. He also supports Real Madrid.
- Khabib was named the International Fighter of the Year in 2016 at the World MMA Awards.
- Khabib turned down the $5 million by another MMA promotion in his homeland as he was committed to honoring his contract with the UFC.
- The Russian holds the record for most takedowns in a single UFC bout– 21 takedowns in 27 attempts.