Japan and Costa Rica square off in their 2022 FIFA World Cup group-stage match on Sunday. Asia's number one team, Japan, recorded a historic 2-1 win over Germany in their campaign opener. On the other side, Costa Rica was humbled 7-0 by Spain in their 2022 World Cup opener, and the team will be looking to give a better performance in this game.
Furthermore, the Japanese team can secure their place in the knockout round if they win this game. Likewise, Costa Rica will be eliminated from the tournament if it fails to earn a point from the game. So, both teams are all set to play, and here are the match preview, betting odds, etc.
Japan vs Costa Rica Match Preview
- Japan and Costa Rica have faced each other five times in friendly games.
- The Japanese squad has scored at least three goals in four of their five encounters against the South American team.
- Costa Rica won their only previous FIFA World Cup match against an Asian nation.
- After beating Germany 2-1, Japan is looking to win back-to-back world cup games for the first time since 2002.
- Since beating Uruguay and Italy in their group in 2014, Costa Rica is winless in 7 world cup games.
Current FIFA world ranking: 24
World Cup titles: 0
World Cup appearances: 6
How they qualified: After beating Australia
Coach: Hajime Moriyasu
Current FIFA world ranking: 31
World Cup titles: 0
World Cup appearances: 5
How they qualified: After a 1-0 intercontinental play-off win over New Zealand in June 2022.
Coach: Luis Fernando Suarez
Players To Watch at Japan vs Costa Rica
Japan vs Costa Rica Prediction: Who Will Win the Game?
Japan has a solid record against Germany and will be looking to expand that record with a win in this game as well. The Japanese team can fill their knockout round berth with a victory here, and they have the incentive to perform at peak level to sidestep a last-day showdown against Spain for their knockout stage longings.
Meanwhile, Costa Rica suffered a 7-0 loss at the hands of Spain in their first game and will be looking to bounce back with revenge here.
We Say Japan 2-1, Costa Rica
Hopes are still alive for Costa Rica since they can still prevail in their remaining two games and qualify for the knockout stage.
Japan: Shuichi Gonda, Takehiro Tomiyasu, Ko Itakura, Maya Yoshida, Yuto Nagatomo, Wataru Endo, Ao Tanaka, Hiroki Ito, Daichi Kamada, Takefusa Kubo, Takuma Asano
Costa Rica: Keylor Navas, Kendall Waston, Franciso Calvo, Oscar Duarte, Bryan Oviedo, Yeltsin Tejeda, Celso Borges, Jewison Bennette, Keysher Fuller, Joel Campbell, Anthony Contreras
How To Watch Japan vs Costa Rica? Kick-Off Time, Stadium, and More
Kick-Off Time & Date: 5 am ET – Sunday, November 27, 2022
Stadium: Ahmed bin Ali Stadium
Location: Ar-Rayyan, Qatar
Streaming en Espanol: Peacock (all 64 matches)
World Cup 2022 Betting Odds For Japan vs Costa Rica
- Japan vs Costa Rica spread: Japan -1.5 (+127)
- Japan vs Costa Rica over/under: 2.5 goals
- Japan vs Costa Rica money line: Japan -225; Costa Rica +750; Draw +300