On November 24, Thursday, Switzerland and Cameroon meet for the first time ever as the two nations kick off what could be a very competitive FIFA World Cup 2022 Group G. The two best nations will face each other at Al Janoub Stadium.
The Swiss team came into the World Cup off the back of a quarter-final run at Euro 2020, while Cameroon came third at the Africa Cup of Nations. The Swiss will be hoping to reach the knockout stages for the third consecutive time, after last-16 finishes at Brazil in 2014 and Russia in 2018.
Similarly, they will depend on experienced heads as they meet the African opponent for the second time at the World Cup, too, having last faced Togo in Germany in 2006. So, today's match between Switzerland and Cameroon will be interesting to watch. Let's explore team history, predictions, and many more.
Switzerland vs. Cameroon Match Preview
- It will be the first-ever meeting between the two countries while the Swiss team is facing the African opponent for the second time.
- Swiss have qualified for their 12th FIFA World Cup, finishing top of their group forward of UEFA European Championship holders Italy.
- The Swiss team is unbeaten in their opening match in each of their five-game appearances at the FIFA World Cup since losing against Germany in 1966.
- Cameroon has qualified for the World Cup finals more often than any other African team.
- This will be Cameroon's eighth appearance on the biggest stage in world football in Qatar.
Current FIFA world ranking: 15
World Cup titles: 0
World Cup appearances: 11
Coach: Murat Yakin
Captain: Granit Xhaka
Current FIFA world ranking: 43
World Cup titles: 0
World Cup appearances: 7
Coach: Rigobert Song
Captain: Vincent Aboubakar
Switzerland's Possible Lineup
Yann Sommer, Ricardo Rodriguez, Nico Elvedi, Manuel Akanji, Silvan Widmer, Djibril Sow, Granit Xhaka, Remo Freuler, Ruben Vargas, Breel Embolo, Xherdan Shaqiri
Cameroon's Possible Lineup
Andre Onana, Nouhou Tolo, Nicolas Nkoulou, Jean-Charles Castelletto, Collins Fai, Karl Toko Ekambi, Martin Hongla, Olivier Ntcham, Bryan Mbeumo, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, Vincent Aboubakar
Players To Watch at Switzerland vs. Cameroon
For Switzerland, Breel Embolo is like a threat. Embolo was his side's top scorer during qualifying, with three goals to his name. Similarly, Embolo scored twice during their Nations League games in September, too, and the Monaco attacker will hope to carry that form over to the FIFA World Cup 2022.
For Cameroon, Vincent Aboubakar is the one to keep an eye on. He has failed to give a single shot on target during his past four World Cup games and will hope to break his duck in the match against Cameroon.
Location, Stadium, and More Details Of The Game
Kick-off Time: 5 am ET / 10 am GMT / 12 pm CAT / 3:30 pm IST
Date: November 24, 2022 (Thursday)
Stadium: Al Janoub Stadium
Location: Al Wakrah, Qatar
Switzerland vs. Cameroon Prediction: Who Will Be the Winner?
As said earlier, the Swiss team went unbeaten in the group stages of the 2018 World Cup, and they will be looking to do that this year. Likewise, Cameroon performed well in their World Cup qualifiers, pipping Ivory Coast to the top place in their group with a 1-0 win over the Elephants.
Cameroonians head into the World Cup on the back of a four-game winless run and will be desperate to finish that streak here. Many predicted Swiss had a 55% chance of winning the game, while 18% supported the Cameroon side. And 27% of football fans have predicted that the game will end draw.
We say Switzerland 1-0 Cameroon.
Here Are the Betting Odds for Switzerland vs. Cameroon
- Switzerland vs. Cameroon spread: Switzerland -0.5 (-140)
- Switzerland vs. Cameroon over/under: 2.5 goals
- Switzerland vs. Cameroon money line: Switzerland -135, Cameroon +420, Draw +240
- The Swiss team received goals from 12 different players during World Cup qualifying.
- The Cameroon team has lost their last six World Cup games.
Keep Visiting PlayersWiki To Get More Updates on the Game